Saturday 21 April 2007

the scales fall from my eyes...

'The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn'.
- Alvin Toffler

When I was at the Charles Keene(if you need to know he was a factory owner who sat on a lot of council committees mainly as an unelected Alderman, the sort that would keep me on the blacklist of radical agitators) College of Further Education in 1970, the computing course was run with no computers. The lessons mainly consisted of working out the steps of boiling an egg using System Analysis and then writing these steps down in COBOL shorthand. Exciting as a Soviet Union 5 year economic plan speech, Never used COBOL but use System Analysis for constructing essays and used it to teach students how to construct the structures for their essays.

I ramble on about this because I learned how to use RSS feeds this morning to keep me up to date with available wishlist books. Gmail links me with the various social communities forums with a live remote alert. This blog helps to track and record my book thoughts. Librarything.com helps me catalogue my books and track my reading. All very Web.2(yes I also had to look up what this means!)

Rushing with excitement to my family,the result from the Wife was ...its nice you have time for an interesting hobby when I am have no time for myself, no new clothes, no fun in my life, a slave would be treated better, blah, blah rant. (obviously a bad time to raise the subject) And my Son? Glazed look of whatever...

Ah well, a cup of tea and more chapters of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. Just finished his life as being part of the just in time guide for the rescue flying pterodactyl. Go on read it, you know you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, welcome I appreciate the time and effort you are making to leave this comment and I will respond when I can

John